Thursday, November 5, 2015

Chocolate Butterflies Using Wax Paper and Books! {Pattern Included}



Welcome to the first post in my five week series.  I have the most amazing pinterest inspired party ideas to share with you all.
5 Weeks Worth!!!! That's right, for the next 5 weeks I will be posting amazing tutorials, every day.

 

Here's why:

My lovely sister, Jordan, and I have been planning a surprise birthday party for our gorgeous sister Laurel's 19th birthday. It took about 2 months of prep (with many helping hands) & many more weeks of planning (Laurel being jealous for me always calling Jordan and not her- HA!) BUT WE DID IT WITHOUT HER FINDING OUT!


This project all started when I saw these beautiful chocolate butterflies on Pioneer Woman about a year ago & I finally had a opportunity to try them out for myself. With a little construction twist of my own, of course. :)


Trace out the pattern by placing the wax paper over a printed version (my pattern is found at the bottom of the post.)


Next, melt your chocolate almond bark.

Don't use chocolate chips. They won't be strong enough to hold it up.

 

I didn't want to risk my butterfly sticking so I LIGHTLY buttered my wax paper.

Turn your wax paper over (with the marker pattern you drew facing the counter) and fold your paper with the crease in the middle of the butterflies body. You want the crease to make the form of the butterfly. 

Now, for the moment you've been waiting for! 

Now you can pipe your chocolate butterfly. Pipe onto a flat surface (it makes it easier)

 Make sure to use a pretty thick piping attachment (if using a frosting bag) or if you are using a ziplock, just make you make all your lines thick enough. If you don't, they will fall apart when hard.
 

Once your masterpiece is finished, transfer onto a thick, open book & into the fridge.


Only Refrigerate until Hardened! 
( I had 7 butterflies in my fridge hardening when my husband got home... you should have seen his face when he opened the door only to find books with butterflies in the fridge! :P)



 The book will give it the realistic wing span.





By the way, these hold up best when you use the as soon as they are hard! :)


Just so you can see, we had a few butterfly "fails" along the way. :P

Be creative & do different sizes and even be creative with maybe using other designs in the wings!


Below is the pattern we used. 
Just print and trace!



Hope you LOVE it & give it a try yourself! They make great cake toppers! (just make sure the weather isn't too hot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment