Thursday, November 5, 2015

June's New "Rustic Cute" Room!


There is something that makes designing for kids WAY too much fun. I had a wonderful childhood... and (confession) I used to scribble all over the walls and "sign" my sister's name under my creations... problem was, she was only 2 at the time. I really wanted to give June a space where she can use her imagination... without drawing on the walls (thank you mega chalkboard downstairs!)


My daughter's animal loving heart is something she got from me. I remember that there was this one restaurant that had a real life size buffalo, and I always LOVED seeing it up close. Maybe that's why I've had so much fun in this space, because I've been able to incorporate my childhood memories into my daughter's room, and while it's completely made just for *her*, it's still a reflection of our similarities, and the things that I grew up loving.
Maybe I am really going over the top for June, but I know that would have LOVED having my own teepee in my room. Man, pinterest gives parents way too many cool ideas!

Anyhow, today is the day that I share everything that I've been working really hard on (in-between all the morning sickness!)

Ready to see some serious rustic cuteness?


Because we just moved in, this room was a complete blank slate, and it had "fake" wood floors! Yay! I'll take that over carpet any day!


This WHOLE ROOM was basically DIY'ed, including all the animals, so it was super affordable! I can't wait to talk more about this owl... but that will have to wait for another day. And no, it does not give her nightmares. As you can tell from her expression, she adores it!



I didn't actually start out with a theme for this room, it just sort of evolved. I knew I wanted to incorporate her teepee and color pallet from our last house (see the teepee tutorial HERE) and the animal influence just added to the combination of prairie and forest.

I can't wait to show you how I made some of the items... and the horrible before's of the furniture (some of which you may have already seen, like the before of this pallet dresserfound HERE)

This toddler bed is awesome. It actually helped convince June to start sleeping in her own room. But now I love her room so much that I want to join her! :)


It all came together with this last addition of a painting of a tree that I did many years ago. Wild and untamed nature; prairie grass blowing in the wind.


Every little girl needs a deer sling shot by her door, right?






I couldn't help myself... I made a bear rug. And it was so easy (can't wait to show you how!)


This feather art was painted and drawn using class room materials, like crayons... you can either call me brilliantly resourceful, or cheap. ;)




This is another personal touch from me. I used to draw  and paint Beatrix Potter & Redwall inspired animals all the time. This is painting of two little hedgehogs from a short story I wrote when I was 10. 



What does the fox say? But seriously, I made this guy out of a tee shirt. I really didn't want to paint, since we are in a rental, but that's okay because I love white. Using a bold color, like the orange-coral color for the fox, really made the space look modern and fun!



This room doesn't just have personal elements from me. Silas found these deer antlers in the woods when he was growing up.



The animals are what make the room, in my opinion, and this buffalo is the best. It is just so majestic; but June calls it a cow. Haha!



I wanted the painting of the tree to look like a window, and being in this room really does feel like being in an open prairie field. 



June has all the classical Winnie The Pooh and Beatrix Potter books. Since the floor is so hard, I made several floor cushions for us to cuddle on during story time. Eventually I'm going to give June all my hardcover Little House on the Prairie books... but that will have to wait until she grows out of being a sneaky little artist like I was. 


I tried my hand a painting a drop cloth rug & LOVE how it turned out. Pardon the whiskey jug vase... it's purely decorative. ;) 


I stole this old nightstand from my in-laws, and this globe from my parents. Do you think either of them will notice? 


The owl was my first paper animal project. I'm going to be doing a full tutorial on my process. You can see a sneak peak of it on my instagram feed (HERE)



 I used some old party decorations to hang form her door. You can find the tutorial HERE.



This stone bunny was from my great grandparents, and is now used as a door stopper to keep June's door open.



I even did some wood carving while making these arrows- and I am going to be sharing the printable template for the watercolor feathers so you can make them too!


These fun ombre blocks are rocking her room's colors. See how I made them HERE.


Ironically, we may be packing up and moving soon, but I'm used to it, and honestly, this room is designed to be renter friendly and easy to pack up and relocate. That's just one of the things I have to pay attention to design-wise, being a military wife.

Overall, I love how her room turned out in the end.

What do you think? What is your favorite part of the room?

Here are the projects from this room that have posts about them so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment